leaking around windows

Old 12-22-07, 10:25 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking around windows

Purchased a new construction home 4 months ago and the three times it has rained water would leaked in from around the window and even the doors. We contacted the builder who refuses to repair so I called my homeowners insurance. The insurance sent a company to come in and remove all the drywall from around the windows and doors to dry the walls out. THe floor is soaked to the sub floor. Now the insurance says I am on my own to have the outside repaired before they put my home back together. I have since found that the General contractor who built my home is not even licensed and every attorney I call says I have a good case but its to small and not enough of a payout. What do you do?
Old 12-22-07, 10:38 AM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 19,281
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts

Hi Hannah
How did a home get built by an unlicensed contractor? How were permits pulled and inspections done? I would say you need to go to your local inspectors office, and ask for copies.

Seems to me, you would have claims against more than the GC. Did you buy directly from him? What about the home inspection?

If you can't find an attorney, you might try legal aid, or you may have to go to small claims.

Best of Luck
Old 12-22-07, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 247
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
was there a homeowner's warranty ? ? ?

most states require 1 & water leaks're covered in the 1st yr only altho that may be only applicable to basements,,, you can get repair estimates & sue in small claims ct,,, a judgement's 1 thing - collecting its another.

be sure to notify your town/city/county bdlg permit issuing authority of this problem & keep them in the loop,,, also on your list should be the same authority's legal dept. who may prosecute & seek remuneration for you as well as themselves,,, lawyers love to sue - its what they get pd to do, remember ?

if the window's & doors're leaking, what else was blt sub-code ? ? ?

next time, be sure to ask to see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you already know the question & answer, tho, i'm sure,,, you might want to call suppliers to see if they're been pd rather'n being surpris'd by a mechanic's lien on your very fine new home, too.

Last edited by so-elitecrete; 12-22-07 at 11:28 AM. Reason: 1

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: