Leaking Ceiling *PLEASE HELP*

Old 01-19-08, 01:12 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Ceiling *PLEASE HELP*

My celing has been leeking on the back edge of my house for the past two years now. I thought it was my crappy roof that was on there, so I replaced it and my chimney this past summer. I went overkill on all the flashing and rubberized undercoating thinking that the water was coming through my shingles. I put a nice ridge vent on the entire house and added baffles and everything to get it nice and ventalated like it should be. This winter it started leaking again just as bad if not worse than last year. I thought maybe it was my gutters, so I siloconed them to the facial and all around each nail hole. So far no luck. My ceiling plaster can not take much more water before it starts to need to be replaced so PLEASE HELP!!! I honestly have no idea what else to do. I have a one story straight ranch with a shallow 4-12 pitch roof. All the wind and rain comes from that side of the house about 90% of the time. It also seems to be worse When it is below freezing and windy outside. I live in Michigan. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all!

Old 01-19-08, 04:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 697 Likes on 615 Posts
Have you looked in the attic to determine where the leak originates from?

This would probably be better answered in the roofing section.
Maybe a super mod will move it for you

Old 01-19-08, 05:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
I agree with Mark that a trip to the attic is warranted.

I also agreed with him on the roofing forum being the best place and I moved the post here.

Welcome to the forums.

Old 01-21-08, 03:36 PM
Some pictures will be helpful. Odds are that the caulking and cementing are causing more problems than you started with.

Last edited by tinner666; 01-21-08 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-21-08, 04:46 PM
L
Thanks for the imput, sorry for posting in the wrong section.
I have checked the attic and it is not leaking from the roof at all and I know for sure it is not being caused from ice damns.

I have been getting some help from a different forum where I already have pictures posted (I can't post any attachments here) Take a look at them here

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/showt...ed=1#post14718

and let me know what you guys think. I'm starting to think it might be being caused from condensation. Have any of you heard of this happening before. Thanks so much for your help and sorry I haven't responded sooner for some reason when I was hitting th erefresh button on this forum, the replies weren't coming up.

Old 01-21-08, 05:59 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As someone at the other board has already pointed out, the insulation in your attic is installed with the vapor retarder reversed (toward the cold, attic side).

A considerable amount of warm most air rises through the stud cavities of some older homes, and that could be trapped and condensing above the wall/ceiling junctions at the eaves as shown in your photographs.

If you feel comfortable moving about on the joists in the attic, I would suggest crawling out to the eave above a leak and pulling back the insulation to see what you find.

Old 01-25-08, 09:18 PM
you need a flashing that goes behind the gutter,we use a 3x3,this keeps the water/ice from getting up under the drip edge,and into the soffit,and thru to the ceiling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: