Received Quote for flat roof

Old 02-01-08, 11:12 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Received Quote for flat roof

My patio roof (almost flat - 1/12 pitch) is just over 400 sq. ft. - 408 to be exact.

A friend of mine works in the roofing industry and said he'll do the job for $250. I already bought the fiberglass underlayment and rolldown roofing material.

Here is what he said he will do, remove 2 rows of shingles, nail it down the underlayment and torch the materail down and replace the 2 rows of shingles. (this would tie it to the house to eliminate any chance of leaks between patio and roof)

My question is, $250 a fair price to pay or do I need to find other friends? =) I want to say it is just because of the difficulty of using the torch down and shingle work.

Thanks for your thoughts.
JP

Old 02-01-08, 03:16 PM
If the flat work was done, I'd charge $250.00 to do the tie-in.

How many layers are on there not? What's the material? What's the weight of the existing roof(s)? Do you get new drip-edge metal. Is it primed and ready for the Mod-bit roof?
Just the first questions that pop up rught away.

Old 02-03-08, 02:12 PM
K
It's just 1 layer of fairly new shingles (less than 3 years old). I have plywood butted up against the existing roof where the tie-in is going to occur. I bought 2x4 dripedge with the 1/8" lip but have not primered it yet. Is the necessary before he puts down the mod-bit? He said he was going to "sandwich the dripedge" (paper, then flashing, then mod-bit.) sounded logical to me.

What did you mean by weight of the roof(s)?

Old 02-03-08, 07:40 PM
Metal must be primed first.
By weight, I was referring to weight of the new roof,+weight of existing roof. If this is a new roof, which you didn't specify, you can disregard the comment.

Some roofers will add roof layers over roof layers with no regard to the load on the structure.

BTW, when nailing base to torch over, I prefer 12" to 18" laps of the material. Flames can go under the base and create a structure fire. 2" lap can be asking for trouble.

Old 02-04-08, 05:01 PM
K
Thanks for the reply. I will keep that in mind about the overlap. I will have plenty of extra so I'll mention to him to give at least 12" of lap.

The roof will be just this one layer. It had that cheap plastic stuff on it and it was so poorly weathered and leaked and was beginning to deteriate, so that was the first to go. Structure wise it is solid. I have plywood up there now with braces every 2' running horizontal with 2x6 rafters every 2-3 feet. It's by no means a party deck, but I wanted to go up and watch fireworks, I wouldn't be scared to stand on it.

I will primer the metal this week - thanks for the advice. It will be done this Saturday (pending weather), so I'll post pics when done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: