End cap of gutter leaking!

Old 02-07-08, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
End cap of gutter leaking!

I have a 30 foot run of seamless extruded aluminum gutter that runs along the front and side of my house. It ends up at my front porch.

The section comes around the front of the garage and goes about 10 feet to the end cap I am talking about. The problem is that there is no slope in the 10 foot section. The drain is about two feet from the corner and then there is another 8 foot to the end cap. The water pools in that section.

I tried to raise the end of the gutter so there would be slope toward the drain, but the way my gutters are configured I could not figure out how to raise it. I have a piece of gutter that is molded in such a way that it is nailed directly on top of the roof underlayment. Then on top of that is nailed a drip cap. So preventing the raising of the gutter is the drip cap and the gutter itself--all nailed on the edge of the roof.

I have tried some sealer I bought at Lowes but it did not do the job sufficiently.

Any suggestions on a better type of sealer or a better way to get some slope in this section of gutter would be appreciated.

Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-08, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Geocel 2300 Clear Construction Tripolymer Sealant is your answer. It's great stuff. Geocel also makes a pourable sealant that is self levelling that you can pour into things like gutters- it will set up and become solid in the low lying areas.

Old 02-07-08, 05:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well... you could cut the gutter loose from the existing supports and re-support it with gutter spikes and ferrules or "concealed hangers", the problem is that these work best if they are secured to the rafter tails, which may be hard to locate.

Old 02-08-08, 07:00 PM
I bought some of the Geocel today. If it ever gets warm enough here in Colorado, I will apply it and see what happens.

Thanks, Brad

Old 02-08-08, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Just FYI... if using the self-levelling pourable sealant, it is runny enough to drip from any sizable gap or hole. So I'd recommend sealing the endcap with the Geocel 2300 since it is more like caulking... then use the pourable sealant to fill in the low spots.

Old 02-08-08, 08:32 PM
install a new gutter that`s pitched properly using inside brackets w/1/4" galv.bolts,seal the endcaps with GEOCELL GUTTER SEAL(COMES IN TOOTHPASTE STYLE CONTAINERS),your gutter sounds like it`s past it`s prime and old style,noteriginally gutters were installed dead level,and the water would go to the hole naturally

Old 02-09-08, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by the roofing god View Post
install a new gutter that`s pitched properly using inside brackets w/1/4" galv.bolts,seal the endcaps with GEOCELL GUTTER SEAL(COMES IN TOOTHPASTE STYLE CONTAINERS),your gutter sounds like it`s past it`s prime and old style,noteriginally gutters were installed dead level,and the water would go to the hole naturally
FYI, my gutters are only 7 years old and in really good shape. It is just this one spot, where we get an ice dam on the roof against the edge of the house on the north side. The snow barely melts and it leaks at the endcap.

Brad

Old 02-09-08, 06:03 PM
well then it`s a new gutter of the old style,the older gutters had a flange that went onto the roof,and didn`t even need dripedge,but these worked with a level structure in the manner previously explained,so since it`s got the dip it`s not level,and I would still recommend replacing it with a 5""k"style gutter that you can pitch to deal with this situation.good luck either way,replacing a 30 ft gutter should not be an expensive option,weigh it against the time and money you`ll spend tring to make your existing one right,new 30 ft. w/ brackets only about75.00$