Roof Vent Boot Flashing?

Old 02-10-08, 10:16 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roof Vent Boot Flashing?

I'm on to a new part of my roof and this brings up a quick question.

Everything is down to the roof deck. This area has several vent pipes and chimneys for small gas heaters. I've bought some metal contraptions which I believe are called "vent boot flashing", but they're basicially things to slide over the vent pipes and chimneys and they're "flashing".

Anyway... It looks to me that these boots should go on top of the felt, but because I'm not seeing it spelled-out anywhere, I thought that I'd ask.

Thanks in Advance for all your help.

Old 02-10-08, 10:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Wink

Hard to say here. Put down the felt all over. Work the shingles up .Slide that roof jack over and down the pipe some. Now the shingles go down on the roof 1/2 way up on the roof under that jack. Slid the jack down on the roof over that shingle. Now put the rest of the shingles over the edge of the jack. Its like the bottom half of the jack is on top of the shingles and tacked down then the top half is under the shingles. Its all so the water will shed off and around the jacks.

Old 02-10-08, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Basically, they should be "woven" into the shingles. The lower edge will be exposed and hopefully line up with the bottom edge of adjacent shingles. The top and down the sides are overlapped by the next course of shingles. Some trimming of the shingles will be required. Basically, treat them like a narrow shingle.

If you shingle completely over them, you would never be able to replace them, should that be necessary.

Hope thats clear....easier to do than for me to explain unfortunately.

Old 02-10-08, 11:01 AM
T
Okay - So, the bottom edge should go on top of a course of shingles and then the next course should go on top of the flashing and all of it should go on top of the felt?

IOW: The felt does not go over the boot.

Hopefully I'm understanding.
Thanks again for all of the help.

Old 02-10-08, 11:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Wink

The felt does not go over the boot.
There ya go. Put the felt down then work the shingles up next. Jack will be on top of it.

Old 02-10-08, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sometimes you'll see guys put felt paper over the top half of the boot, but that's usually when the roof has not been shingled- they are just doing it so that water doesn't run down the vent pipe in the meantime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: