Roof, siding, windows - which first?

Old 02-25-08, 08:25 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof, siding, windows - which first?

I recently purchased a 30+ yr old house which in the next few years will need a roof, siding, and windows. Is there a particular order in which these updates should take place? Does it makes any of these jobs easier if they are done together?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

-MZ

Old 02-25-08, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Depends on a couple of factors I would say.

Are all of the items mentioned are in acceptable condition, and are just going to be updated?

Will you be doing any of the work yourself, or will it be contracted?

Will you be replacing windows, frame and all, or using replacements and having the exterior trim wrapped?

If the first answer is yes, then I would suggest doing the windows first if you will be doing replacement windows. You will see the greatest improvement in efficiency with that update. Its a very DIY friendly job, except for the trim wrapping. The trim wrapping (if desired) could probably be done by whoever does the siding later.

If you are replacing windows, frame and all, then I'd humbly suggest you do the windows and siding one right after the other. (pull windows and ripoff siding, replace windows, install siding)

If the first answer is no, and the items are truly dilapidated, then the roof should be the first item. The roof is the shield for your home, and even a small leak can lead to much more work.

As you probably already knew, not a simple 1,2,3, answer.

I'm not a builder or contractor, it's just my opinion.

Old 02-25-08, 08:50 AM
I
I would do the roof first, especially if its a tear-off. Otherwise you will be cleaning black marks off your new siding from shingles torn off and falling off the house.
The siding and windows is a different story. I dont know what kind of windows you have but I will guess "double hung". (no matter) Coordinate the siding and windows together if your changing widths or heights of any existing units. In fact here is your chance to do just that. If your using replacement windows (sash only)then there is no issue. Go ahead and do the siding and in the meantime measure and order your new replacement sashes. Some siding contractors do roof, siding and windows. Then you deal with one outfit instead of two or three so its easy to manage. Good Luck on your project.

INDII

Old 02-25-08, 09:43 AM
M
Thanks fellas.

The roof already has two layers so I anticipate that being a big job and do like the idea that this should be first, most for the reasons you two mentioned. Also, I do like Gunguy45's synopsis (windows out, siding off, windows in, siding on)

I'm likely not going to do any of this myself but do appreciate the insights! Take care.

-MZ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: