Flashing repair where cathedral ceiling meets wall

Old 03-07-08, 02:06 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Flashing repair where cathedral ceiling meets wall

We have a leak at the flashing where a cathedral ceiling meets a vertical wall. The roofing contractor said the flashing looked like half of a ridge vent. From that I tracked it down to an Air Vent Flash FilterVent which provides flashing and ventilation at the ridge of a cathedral ceiling. So it enhances the air flow between the soffit vent and the ridge. It's a clever looking thing, but over the years people working on the roof have stepped on it, so it is a bit crushed. In the current literature on insulating cathedral ceilings there is a real debate about the air flow issue in the ceiling. Where I have access the ceiling was insulated with fiberglass with some space for air flow from soffit to ridge. If I used ordinary flashing this would completely block flow at the ridge, but this would be cheaper and faster. Is this a big risk?

Old 03-07-08, 05:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
More of a risk than I'd want to take. I've had to remove too much sheeting full of blackmold on cathederal ceilings.
I'm no rocket scientist, but I do see a lot damage done because of lack of ventilation, whether interior moisture caused it of not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: