Ice Dams - Cause and prevention

Old 03-10-08, 01:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ice Dams - Cause and prevention

I've always had ice dams below my skylights in my 9 year old home and have always kept an eye on that part of the house. However, this year, I have them on just about every side of the house and water is seeping in on one portion of the house. I am working on having the damage assessed and having repairs made but have a couple of questions about this.

1) We have had record snows this year (approaching 100")and have had several storms where rain on already heavy snow was followed by cold weather so icing under the snow was pretty much inevitable. I also had drifting on the roof and some ares are still under more than a foot of snow while other areas are finally clearing off. I have a ridge vented home and noticed the snow had covered most if not all of the ridge. Is this vent being mostly blocked a likely explanation for the damming I had this year? Is installing a power vent something that would make sense in this scenario? And what is one supposed to do to keep the ridge vent clear under these circomstances?

2) I do not want to go through this again in the future. Who is best equipped to evaluate my situation as far as insulation, heat loss and venting goes? A roofing contractor, one of the home improvement outfits or who?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 03-10-08, 01:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Dave,

We, too, had that problem several times. When we replaced the roof, we added a rubber membrane to prevent the water from backing up under the shingles and soaking through the sheathing.

Here's an excellent article, with diagram, about ice dams:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1068.html

Old 03-10-08, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Like said .If you have the roof reworked be sure and have them put down a Ice shield under the shingles there and on the edge of the roof. . Its called many names from different companys. There also is the electric wire that is made to run in gutters and up on the roof there to stop the dams.

http://www.tpanels.com/products/index.html

Check them out

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: