insulating skylight well

Old 03-15-08, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
insulating skylight well

ok, i have one more question.
my skylights sit on top of deep wells, i'd say - 5 feet easy - opening into the kitchen.
glass in skylight - if it's glass - is single pane.
multiply this times vaulted ceiling in kitchen, and i have great heat evacuation route out during cold weather/season.
any suggestions how to prevent heat not only from escaping (skylight is self flashing, i can insulate the glass panel easy) but from even going into the well and cooling there?
simple one that i came up with is to add 2nd glass maybe a foot down into the well - build supporting frame into the well walls, cut the glass to the size, and caulk it into the brackets. thus, pretty much, turning the well's top into double pane window.
any other suggestions? any flaws in my plan? should be easy to do from the roof, otherwise, well's top is about 20 feet up in the air from the floor.

Old 03-15-08, 07:25 PM
J
I think you need to fix the leak first...........

Old 03-16-08, 09:36 AM
After repairing the roof, I'd put a ledge in the well and get a piece of some 'difuser' plastic like you see on flouresent light fixtures and set it on the ledge. Cut to fit. Get fancy if you want, and do it 1/2 way up the inside, and then again at the bottom for insulating qualities.

Old 03-16-08, 11:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by tinner666
After repairing the roof, I'd put a ledge in the well and get a piece of some 'difuser' plastic like you see on flouresent light fixtures and set it on the ledge. Cut to fit. Get fancy if you want, and do it 1/2 way up the inside, and then again at the bottom for insulating qualities.
yep, that's the plan, see my other post about leaking skylight. thank you. seal it on the ledge, match ledge material to kitchen cabinets, will even add some charm to it. i will definitely apply some UV/heat film to it, as summer time it is pumping heat in a lot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: