Big box flashing for trim?

Old 03-17-08, 03:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Big box flashing for trim?

I want to clad some fascia that I replaced on the back of my house in aluminum after replacing about 75' worth due to carpenter bees and sheer age. I'd like to see the stupid bees drill through aluminum! The only stuff I can *easily* find is the 10" by 10' rolls, white one side, brown the other (Amerimax I believe) flashing at Lowe's. Will this do? I've done some door and window pans out of it and it worked admirably for that, but then, I don't have to actually *look* at a door pan all the time. The finish on it is quite matte.

Old 03-17-08, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say yes you can . But for looks it should be bent up on a sheet metal brake. That gives it a sharp edge.

Old 03-17-08, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Always wondered.....why doesn't someone make pre-bent trim in std sizes (1x6, 1x4, BM)? Something you could just trim the edge to width and nail in. Or do they?

Old 03-17-08, 03:22 PM
My! That was quick ! Yes, I've already priced what rental on a 10'6" brake from Sunbelt (at Lowe's) Rentals would be, very reasonable I thought. I was actually able to get a fairly decent bend on the pans using a home-made brake that I made from 2x4's, so a "real" brake ought to be that much better. I think the main thing that concerns me is that I'm not sure what sort of a finish the fascia trim should have never having actually seen any. For instance, the aluminum drip edge has a much slicker finish than this flashing stock does and I believe in the back of my mind I was wondering if it might not be as durable.

Old 03-17-08, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Hey diy

Well, you could use what you suggested, but normally, wrapping trim and such is done with trim coil. Much glossier finish. Was running $55-60 a box 18 months ago. Problem is you'll prob have more waste, as I think it was ...hmmm
22-24" wide?

Old 03-17-08, 05:42 PM
I hate the waste, but c'est la vie . . . . Do you have a suggestion as to where to get the regular trim coil?

Old 03-17-08, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Building supply or siding companies have it, if they'll sell it to a homeowner, some do trades only.

The Big Box store have it as well, in the siding area.

Old 03-17-08, 07:51 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One thought: as you are installing, keep in in mind that you will need to end up with properly placed and secured drip edges and gutters, for example if you will be spiking in the gutters, you will need to keep track of the rafter tail locatons by marking them on the drip edge or soffit.

Old 04-27-08, 04:52 PM
I went with the regular trim-coil which I ordered from an online company. Very glad I did as it was much heavier and better quality than the flashing. It looks very nice and I had fun bending and forming the metal. Not so much fun putting it up though, and still could use a trim nail here and there.

For some odd reason, despite our highish (50+ inches a year) rainfall gutters are a bit of a rare commodity around here and this house did not come with any nor do I have any plans to put them on at this time.

Old 04-27-08, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Diylady...thanks for the update, glad it turned out ok!!

Old 04-27-08, 09:05 PM
BRADCO,AND ARZEE,ALLIED,will sell you prebent fascia cover metal,the rolls are 24"x50'

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: