backfill question

Old 03-25-08, 08:22 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
backfill question

We have been water coming into our basement during heavy rains along one wall only. I think it maybe related to poor grading away from this wall as the ground is flat or slightly towards the house. Planning on trying backfill first. Here was my plan. I plan to put down heavy landscaping plastic or the like up the wall 6 inches and curve and run it out on the ground about 10 feet. I then plan to put about 12 inches of mostly clay backfill along the wall and slope this out over the 10 feet until it is level with the rest of the ground. Is 12 inches over 10 feet adequate? How about putting the plastic against the wall and under the dirt? I know I have read about people putting gravel over plastic but is it ok with dirt? I was thinking it would keep water from getting through to the basement wall and we would still be able to plant some small root flowers since there would be 8-12 inches of dirt near the house about the plastic. what do you think?

Old 03-25-08, 10:28 AM
setting the plastic on gravel,then putting weight-be sure to use heavy guage plastic so the weight doesn`t cause the gravel to push holes in the plastic------another thought is to check the guttering over the area,and make sure the outlets are clear and the gutter is pitched towards the outlet,lack of flashing behind the gutter,along with lack of a proper ice and water shield behind the gutter can cause overflowing gutters to drain down the bearing walls,and empty into lower rooms and/or basements

Old 03-25-08, 11:00 AM
let us know what the problem was !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: