New angle on flat roof

Old 03-28-08, 06:47 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New angle on flat roof

I have a low pitch roof on the front porch that gives me constant trouble with leaks. I have to reshingle it often and then deal with leaks again.

I noticed a neighbor had built a more pitched roof on top of the low pitched roof and had just taken it up higher on the main roof. Just wondering what the technique is to attach the roof higher up on the existing roof.

I would like to insert a picture here, but can't.

Old 03-28-08, 08:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi, to insert a picture, first upload to Picasa if you have a Google account, or photobucket is good, too. Post the link here, or use the "insert picture" link just above where we type. The icon looks like a mountain in a yellow box.

Old 03-28-08, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
It's usually just a matter of ripping off the old roofing and sheathing, attaching a new ledger onto the house, attaching rafters to the ledger and top plate, then resheathing, papering, shingles, flashing, etc. You may or may not have to replace siding around the new roof. And depending on whether it's a hip roof or a lean-to roof, you may have to add more siding to the walls below the roof, since those walls may now need to extend higher than before.

As mentioned, a picture would help us give better advice.

Depending on the pitch of your existing roof, a simpler solution might be resheathing the existing low-pitch roof, then covering it completely with a product like Grace ice and water shield before shingling. Avoiding 3-tab shingles would be a good idea on such a low pitch roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: