rolled roofing on kids home made shed

Old 03-29-08, 09:06 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question rolled roofing on kids home made shed

I made a little clubhouse for my daughter in our backyard- nothing great- But it turned out pretty good for a armchair home person. I even sided the whold thing.The roof is on a very slight slope backwards from the front to the back.I shingled it with regular shings. I noticed very slight water condensation at the meeting of the walls and the ceiling inside the clubhouse with light brown water marks forming on the painted white wood ceiling. I clean it with Tilex. I caulked very heavily the interior of the clubhouse all around the tops of the meetings of all 4 walls and the ceiling-- still getting little condensation and brown marks. I was told by a friend that I should use FLAT roofing rools instead and that should stop this ???Is thtis correct?? And I know you might disagree- but remember it was a homemade project that turned out alright- I asked if I could just GO OVER the existing overlapping shingles- to save me time and energy and maybe opening up a can of worms so to speak----!!! Also I am sure the roof is not really thick wood so I if use any type of roofing nails- it might stick out thru the wood ceiling- except of course where I laid the beams .-- Please let me know what u think.Thanks so much
P.S. - remember this was not meant to be a professional job- I started this as a weekend warrion and I am shocked that it actually ended up pretty nice- But now all I need to do is stop the "condensation forming on certain parts of the painted wood ceiling and around the rims of the tops of the walls. Thanks,

Old 03-29-08, 04:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Just tear off what you installed and look for a roll of SBS granule cap sheet. It's a self adhereing flat/low slope roof material. Be sure to extend it 1 1/2" past all edges.

Old 03-29-08, 07:21 PM
M
Question thanks tinner

That sounds great- my friend said something just like you did-- so it sounds great to me now-Just one more multi part question-- 1) Do I also tear off the old tar paper I put on under the present shingles? 2) If so do I put on NEW tar paper again??3) Does this new type of SBS rooffing paper NEED tar paper underneath??
Thats it-- I anxiously await your reply-- and thanks so much again.

Old 03-30-08, 07:36 AM
Take that paper off. I would stick it to the wood. Different techniques would be necessary if this was a house, so don't use this advice for any house work! Wait until temps are in the 50's and rising!

Old 03-30-08, 10:18 AM
M
Question ??

When u say tear the old paper off- I understand that- but then you say- stick it to the wood- so I do not have to put new tar paper dow first?? And how much overlap should there be with this SBS paper( how wide is it when put down?? Thanks again- you are great.

Old 03-30-08, 08:38 PM
J
No paper,maybe primer.Rolls are approx 36" exposure,there is a big salvage lap edge.Overhang 1-1/12" on all edges.I find it easiest to lay in place,tack top edge loosely(just a few nails to pin it,but leave them easy to pull)pull bottom side of roll up and remove film from bottom half,press down everywhere.Remove nails and do the same with top half.

Old 03-31-08, 03:45 AM
M
Smile thank u

I want to thank all of nice caring people to give your advice to others who would otherwise be at someones elses mercy to do anything around their home or garden. Thanks so much for all of ur help.

Old 03-31-08, 05:34 PM
USE GAF LIBERTY WITH AN ADHERED BASE SHEET,NAIL THE LAPS,AND FOLD OVER THE EDGES,INSTALL METAL EDGING AT BOTTOM AND SIDE EDGES,PUT DOWN DOUBLE BEAD OF ELASTOMER SEALANT ,STARTING 1"AWAY FROM EDGES,INSTALL THE CAP SHEET WITH 1/2"OVERHANG,EXCEPT THE TOP EDGE(GO FLUSH),THERE PUT SEALANT,AND INSTALL A TOP PIECE METAL AS A CAP(DRIPEDGE?)NAIL IT,AND SEAL THE NAILS WITH GEOCELL TRIPOLYMER SEALANT OR POLYURETHANE,THE BROWN SPOTS ARE MOLD SO BEFORE YOU START TO PUT THE ROOF BACK,SPRAY UNDERNEATH,AND ON TOP OF THE PLYWOOD WITH spray nine which will kill the mold,otherwise it`ll be dangerous to your children,we can`t have that!!

Old 03-31-08, 05:54 PM
J
Why not put ice and water shield on entire deck and then re-shingle.I mean it is a playhouse.Take care of mold first..:mask:

Old 03-31-08, 06:00 PM
J
If your worried about the nails poking through,double up the sheathing and use shorter nails.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: