Soffit and Ridge Vent installation: DIY?

Old 04-04-08, 07:05 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Soffit and Ridge Vent installation: DIY?

Hello,

I bought a house that was built in 2002. it was built with gable end vents at the end of each wall. I would like to put in soffit vents, and cut ridge vents in the peak of the house.

I want to put in the full width vinyl soffit vents (right now they are the vinyl panels, but without any holes). where can you buy this type of vent? at home depot i've only seen the kind you would cut into wood soffits. next question is how do they get installed, do they pop in from underneath, or do i crawl around in the attic to install them?

Next question is regarding ridge vents- i've seen these at HD. with the installation do you cut along the entire width of the house? is caulking underneath the ridge vent standard practice? also do you just reinstall the old peak shingle pieces?

Thanks for all the help and replies!

Old 04-04-08, 07:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello,

Are you familiar with roofing? The questions you've asked are not to be answered with just a few sentences. I will list a website here, for you to visit and learn all there is to know about soffit vents. (and there is a lot!)

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/artic...ticle_id=60487
Here is another page on ridge vents:
http://www.rainguttershop.com/installing_vents.htm

After you have read all this, if you have a question, we will try to answer for you.

I hope this will be helpful to you.

Connie

Old 08-01-08, 03:31 PM
P
Question Cobra Ridge Vent

Help? I am new member to doityourself I was amazed as I was searching the web for information about proper installation of Cobra roof vent? My first Google search brought me directly to Steve's doityourself site post question about the corbra ridge caps being nailed down so tight that not much air could get out. It defined my question perfectly as it is the same situation I have. A local building contractor has just completed building a gabled porch roof on our home and and reroofing our whole house. He charged us an additional $263.00 to supply and install about 16 feet of Cobra roof vent on the porch only. They nailed the cap shingles down over the ridge vent mesh with 1 1/4" inch coil nails I estimate less than 1/4" of space between the bottom of cap shinles and top of roof shingle. I went up on the roof on a hot sunny day and I could feel a little air movemnt from under the ridge cap shingles. I had checked the air movement out the ridge opening before the mesh and cap shingles were installed over the ridge vent opening and the air was rushing out llike it was under power. Oher roofs in the neighbor hood with this type vents appear to have about 5/8" of space under the cap shingles. When I asked the contractor he said they always nail the cap shinles down tight over the vent mesh. I told him that did not make sense to me and I requested he provide me with some technical information about the proper installation of the Corbra mesh ridge vent. He said he would have to research it and get back to me which he has not done yet. I thought I could get technical information from the Corbra mesh ridge vent material manufacture but have not been able to find the correct web site. After registering as a member of doityourself site I can not find the post about steves Corbra ridge vent question or even figure out how to post my inquiry.

Old 08-01-08, 07:04 PM
K
Packerfan, I feel for you. Just a couple quick things on ridge vent. First, you would feel an extreme amount of hot air coming out the peak before the vent and caps were installed because there was no obstuction to the air. Once installed, it does its job the way it's suppose to, but, should not be nailed that tight. Time is money to those of us who are in the trade for a living, so that's why you probably got the answer you did. If nailed with a nail gun, the nails can be set too deep, choking off the ridge vent. I personally like to hand nail them, even though it takes much more time. The hand nails that come with the vent have little plastic spacers on them that aren't suppose to be driven in past. Hence, the proper spacing is applied. Not an overly crazy fix, just taking off the cap shingles and re-applying new cap shingles without overdriving the nails. P.S.... Tell Brett to stay retired:-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: