New Pole Barn Roof

Old 04-04-08, 07:44 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Pole Barn Roof

I am in the planning and design stages of a small pole barn at my cabin. It will be 24 x 24 with a 6/12 pitch. It is in Northern Michigan. Snow load is 70# and there is not much sun damage to worry about.

I have read other threads that indeicate that a metal roof is a good choice over shingled roof. I think I would like a metal roof and I ran the cost numbers, so it is feasible.

Do I need to put down a 1/2' layer of sheathing first ro can I secure the metal directly to the trusses/rafters?

In the other thread, the discussion was regarding flying squirls and red/black squirls making a mess in eves ans soffits. I found the perfect antidote. I bought a .22 Ruger, and for some reason all the squirls dissapeared. I told my wife and kids that it was a miracle. I could not belive that the sight of a simple gun would scare off these little critters but it did. I am sure the Conservation Officer would want to know too but I have not told him yet. hehehehe

Old 04-04-08, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Metal roofs are usually attached to rows of 2x4 purlins (laid flat) that run perpendicular to the rafters or trusses. Metal roofs usually have horizontal rows of screws that are placed 12" OC, so if you're adding something to the rafters, it should be 2x4 purlins, not 1/2" sheathing. The metal roofing screws will go into the purlins, not the rafters.

You'd want to be sure your trusses have appropriate cross bracing and tie-down anchors. Perhaps you know that in violent winds, pole barn roofs can turn into giant kites (without the string).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: