climbing on roof

Old 04-13-08, 12:40 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
climbing on roof

hi all, its been awhile, i would like to ask the guys that do roofing what do you wear on your feet to keep you a little safer when walking on roofs?? yesterday i bought a pair of boots called cougar paws, supposedly they are made just to walk on roofs. what do you think or can tell me about what i should wear on my feet to make me a little more comfortable walking on roofs?

Old 04-13-08, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
These days in addition to good footwear a required item is a body harness attached to a strong anchor point.

Here this is a requirement for any one that is in an occupation that has to work on a rooftop.
Even flat roof work needs either a barricade around the perimeter or a body harness if working within six feet of the edge.
For a homeowner being tied off is good idea.

Old 04-13-08, 05:52 PM
K

No kidding. Ninja shoes.

When a guy shows up for work at Japanese construction site, they look at the footwear just like in North America. Only, steel toes are generally not wanted because (the reasoning) tough boots rob a worker of agility and so the heavy-plodding worker gets into accidents. A foreman won't allow you on the scaffold, wearing boots.

The system of work is different.

I began to wear these cloth slippers, and found them really comfortable. The sole is thin and flexible. The lower portion is rubberized cloth (water resistant). Starting 1" off the ground though they breathe well. They're also cheap. So I have some ratty pairs I only use for rough jobs like tearing shingles off. Also some nice clean pairs I use only indoors when I don't want to sully a customer's home, but do want some kind of footwear besides socks.

Old 04-13-08, 06:20 PM
M
ninja shoes???? some of the roofs i will be climbing are a little steep. but hey who am i to say no, i will look into them thanks guys for your replies.

Old 04-13-08, 06:42 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Although I am now too old to climb the ladder, swing up my leg to access the roof, and walk around with no fear to inspect shingles, replace an occasional missing one, and clean out the gutters, in the days that I did my old tennis shoes served me well for a non-slippery shoe. Most roofers wear some type of slip resistant boot.

Old 04-14-08, 02:51 AM
K
Forums removed my pic.

Try again:

These are good too if you have big toes longer than the others. Most shoes pinch a long big toe.. where bunions come from.

The only trouble is, the socks also must be two-toed.

Oh yeah: On steep roof, set yer claw hammer down in the cleft, it won't slide away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: