Leak around flashing

Old 04-15-08, 07:52 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leak around flashing

I have a leak that I believe is coming from flashing around a chimney. The roof was replaced a couple of years ago (in July), and several months later the leak appeared. Long story short, the roofer did not work on the flashing when he replaced the roof, so it was not covered under his 1 yr warranty (he said). The leak dries up but always comes back. Several weeks ago, we got 11 inches of rain in 48 hours, and the leak reappeard and spread. One good thing was I was able to get up in the attic and find the exact spot where it was coming in. It appears to be directly beneath the copper "cricket" that is behind the chimney. I believe water is getting behind the copper flashing. Does anyone know of a really good brand of caulk or sealer that I could apply to form a seal between the flashing/shingles? I figured I'd try to fix it once myself before calling in a professional to replace the copper flashing.

Old 04-15-08, 01:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't think a caulk has ever been made to keep water out. Flashing has to worked into the roof to work properly. That handyman/plumber or whatever he was you hired IS NOT a roofer. You can't roof around something and say it isn't covered.

If it was me, He'd be answering a warrant tonight. You need a roofer to correct the problemS. Yes, I used the plural. If he got that wrong, you're in for more grief.

Sorry, but you were ripped off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: