Downspout Drainage

Old 04-21-08, 07:26 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Downspout Drainage

First, I'm a newbie to home improvement, so I've got a learning curve like you would not believe! We have four downspouts that empty rain water from our roof onto splashblocks. I want to change this by adding corrugated piping to the downspouts and bury them away from the home. I realize that corrugated piping is not ideal, but I'm worried about using and PVC piping due to my inexperience. I have several questions about this process:

(1) What size corrugated piping would I need?
(2) How far away from the home should I bury the piping?
(3) I was going to lay some rocks underground where the piping ends, is there anything here that I need to take into consideration?
(4) How do I connect the piping to the drainspout?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to this challenge.

Old 04-21-08, 07:53 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The hardware store sells adapters that fit your downspout and the 4 inch pipe. Ideally you would run the pipe to the storm drain at the street, rather that be a ditch or actual drain. If you have no ditch or drain near your property then you would either drain into a drywell you install or drain to daylight (on top the ground). Either of the two would need to be at least 10 feet from your foundation. Plan the project so you can tie all 4 downspouts into 1 line using tee fittings. Start at downspout farthest from drainage spot (ditch or whatever). Run pipe to next downspout put in tee run to next downspout ect. until done. If obstacles (driveway building) are in the way you may have to run more lines such as 2 downspouts per line or 3 in 1 and other seperate. Remember you need to keep at least a 1/4 inch drop every 10 feet of length so the water flows to the end. Also you need to start the piping at least 4 inches in the ground to keep it from freezing in winter.
This should get you started. Any more questions you know where we are.

Old 04-21-08, 11:04 AM
S
Thanks for the response. Without making this into a huge scale project, I wasn't going to connect all four spouts, let alone drain into the sewer lines. My dad who's a landscape architecht (I didn't pick up his jeans) recommended the same, but without getting the village involved, I wanted to make this a smaller scale project. Any thoughts on the corrugated piping?

Old 04-21-08, 11:43 AM
T
Many prefer Smooth 4 inch diameter plastic SDR-35 sewer pipe. It has a smooth interior and lessens the likelihood of a clog as with the rough interior of corrugated pipe. Too, corrugated pipe crushes more easily.

Here's a link on this website that might help with your fear of PVC piping: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2workplasticpipe

It's not rocket science and probably much easier than putting together some of those plastic airplane models. Too, if you run into a problem, you can always post here for help. You can also post pictures at www.photobucket.com or other and post link here for members to view and comment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: