Help - no soffits vents in new roof

Old 04-24-08, 04:46 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Help - no soffits vents in new roof

I just purchased a new home and when the inspector went through it, he noted that the roof had no soffit vents for ventilation. There are lots of roof vents at the top and one small vent on the gable, but he said I should add soffit vents to ensure proper air circulation. The roof is only one year old and is ashphalt/fiberglass. I am quite surprised they would have put a new roof on and not installed these, though the house is 43 year old.

How hard is it to add these soffit vent and where is the best place to get the product from?

Old 04-24-08, 04:52 PM
T
You can purchase soffit vent grills at any big box store. They are easy to install - cutting a hole in the existing soffit - ensuring you have insulation blocking to keep the insulation from covering the new vent - and attaching the grill.

Old 04-24-08, 05:00 PM
S
Sorry, but what is insulation blocking? I know it is to block the insulation from the hole, but is there a specific product for this? I have blown insulation.

Old 04-24-08, 06:11 PM
T
No specific product. You can use 1X's braced between your ceiling joists to keep the insulation from flowing into the soffits. Some folks simply rake the insulation away from the eaves enough to allow air flow - and hope it doesn't flow back to block the vents...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: