Tar to cover leak?

Old 05-14-08, 07:04 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tar to cover leak?

Moving in to a new house, I see the shingles will need to be replaced very soon. On one wall, I see some water damage by a vent pipe in the roof, looks worn around it. Without replacing the shingles, can I just put some type of tar there to seal it till I get the roof replaced? If so, what type of tar?

Thanks.

Old 05-14-08, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Does the vent pipe have a boot around it? Or is it just shingles? If its the type with a rubber boot, you may be able to get a replacement boot at a good hardware store, it just slips down over the pipe. Oatey is one brand.

If it has no boot, then you can try a tube of asphalt based roofing sealant . Available at any Box store or hardware store.
Its a temporary thing.

Old 05-14-08, 07:17 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Could I just load up the tar around that area for now? How long would that last? I will check the boot.

Thanks.

Old 05-14-08, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If you just need to seal the joint around the pipe, use the tube. If it's a larger area, you might be better off getting a gallon can and using a cheap putty knife to lay it in. Make sure you brush off the area to get any loose granules and dirt off. Its messy, make sure you have some rags and solvent handy to clean up afterwards.

These are the absolute worst ways to fix a suspected leak, as I can see you know. Depending on your weather and seasons, it may work for a year or so. Depends on how bad and where the problem is.

This is not the ideal fix, and not what I'd do personally. Just trying to answer your questions. Don't put off the re-roof too long. A bad roof can literally cost you thousands more in interior repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: