New roof

Old 05-20-08, 09:05 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New roof

Due to recent wind and hail damage, my insurance has graciously agreed to buy us a new roof. We intend to stay in this house for a long time.

The two estimates I've narrowed it down to both use the GAF/ELK Timberland shingles.

One will give me a 50 year Timberland Elite shingle and the other a 40 year Laminate Shingle.

Is their much difference in the two?

Also, what are some key questions to help me narrow down the right roofer? Type of nails, what they use on the flashings, or what?

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-20-08, 09:19 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Roof

Check references. Look at their work. Ask questions of their previous clients. I located a good roofer by asking my picky neighbor who she used. Turned out to be a good decision.

Old 05-25-08, 08:45 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Based upon my review of various shingles, every manufacturer publishes installation recommendations/instructions and they are available online. Make sure the installer follows them and puts into its written quote that it will follow and adhere to manufacturer's published installation recommendations/instructions.

For example, see Owens Corning published installation recommendations/instructions in regard to its Duration Premium shingles:

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/r...dLineListID=60

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: