Replacing 2nd layer only.

Old 05-21-08, 12:11 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing 2nd layer only.

I currently have two layers of shingles on my roof. Years ago the previous owner added a layer on top of the old layer. Since purchasing the home I have had it repainted to brown. The white shingles look really bad on the roof and are 20 years old in need of replacement anyway. I can not afford to pay a contractor to do the work. I can only afford to do this myself. But I can not afford to take off the time from work. Meaning I would have to do the job on evenings and weekends. It will take weeks, maybe even months to get done.

In light of all of this, would it be okay to remove only the second existing layer and replace another second layer over the original first layer. By doing this I would not have to completely expose my roof to the elements while getting new shingles on it.

I understand the pros and cons of putting a second layer over an existing first layer. Are there any additional cons to removing a second layer only and putting another second layer back on? Does this put my roof at even greater risk than just adding a second layer over a first layer without having had to remove a second layer?

Old 05-29-08, 10:05 AM
D
I was hoping I would have had a couple replys by now with some advice. I have been holding off doing the roof while I make this decision. But I don't really want to make the decision final until I hear what some of you have to think of the situation. Any discussion on this at all would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 05-29-08, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Draken,
I see you've had a good number of views on this, but no replies. I'm thinking thats because no one can even contemplate how you'd remove the top layer without severely damaging the bottom layer and possibly having ongoing problems for years. Sorry, it just doesn't make any sense to me either.

Believe me, I completely understand time and money constraints. It really might not take as long as you think. With a couple of weeks of good weather and maybe a few friends for the initail rip-off, you could do it right. I helped a friend back in VA. 4 guys, 2 days (+Friday afternoon for the rip-off), and we had it done. Granted, that was a simple rancher, no valleys or chimneys.

Think about this

Weekend 1
Rip-off and clean up
Repair roof deck if required (you should be able to get a good idea of required repairs from inside the attic)
Get paper,flashing, and weathershield down
Tarp roof if required

Weekend 2
Get shingles delivered to roof
Put down shingles (this really can go pretty fast if they're already on the roof)
Clean-up
Drink cold ones and eat aspirin for those aching muscles.

Or just leave the roof up there for a while longer until you could at least afford to pay someone to come in and knock it out in 2 days. I'm betting theres a lot of roofers looking for some side work, with the home building industry the way it is right now.

Hope you find a solution that works for you. Those were just my thoughts.

Old 05-29-08, 02:49 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Roof

You should remove both layers. The bottom layer will be full of nail holes after the top layer is removed. I honestly believe removing two layers will go faster than trying to carefully remove only the top layer. You need to inspect the decking for needed repairs. You need to remove all shingles and felt to do this.

Old 06-02-08, 02:13 PM
D
Thanks for the advice guys. I won't be doing the leave the 1st layer on thing after reading your replys.

I am 40 years old and still strong. But my joints can't take long work hours. So I would have to do a bit each day and be wary of over doing it.

I am not the type to ask for help on something I wouldn't want to help someone else on. So I would like to do this one myself.

I will start looking in to what it takes to do one slope at a time. Maybe I can pull that off.

Old 06-02-08, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

For sure take all the old stuff off. Might look into getting some big blue poly tarps. To cover what you have off. After storms in FL we used them on the roofs. Wrap the edges in a 1X2 then tack that down to hold the trap down good

Old 06-02-08, 07:39 PM
Yes, get blue tarps and cover even the felt at night. You can't be too careful.

Old 06-03-08, 10:50 PM
always rip the old so you can inspect the decking at the very least

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: