my roof leaks, I can't afford metal......

Old 05-27-08, 11:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
my roof leaks, I can't afford metal......

Hi,
I am a novice member here, so please forgive me if I post this in the wrong area.
I just bought the serious fixxer-upper I am residing in. I knew when I moved in over a year ago as a renter that it needed some work, but as soon as I put the down payment on it, it went downhill real fast.
I am not sure of the pitch of my roof, all I know is I am so terrified of the roof that I only get up there when necessary. So, I live in the midwest and we all now that rain is very abundant this year, the leak first made an appearrance over my kitchen sink, and last month it began leaking over the bathroom, same side of the roof.
I just want something, besides asphalt that I can rollover the roof until I win the lottery and can replace it. I have looked into some aluminum coatings because the asphalt melts off when it gets to warm.
Does anyone know if there is a coating that will work? I read that post about the torching and the other temp patch stuff, but I was really hoping there is one coating or method that a terrified roof rookie like me could use.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Randy

Old 05-27-08, 03:17 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Check the vent pipes on your roof to see if the rubber boot that seals the vent has begun to fall appart. Should only cost a couple of bucks to replace and something you can do yourself if the roof isn't too steep.

This seem logical as you have a leak in the kitchen, which has a vent stack, and the bathroom, which also has a vent stack.

Old 05-27-08, 04:17 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Good, logical advice above.

Roofing is one of the easiest (technically) of the DIY projects that there is.... though it can be dangerous if you're not careful. With basic 20yr shingles running around $30/square (100sq. ft) - a decent DIY'er can replace his entire roof with hundreds of dollars vs the thousands of dollars typically charged by roofers....

Old 05-27-08, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
unfortunately, the only things sticking out of my roof in the visinity of that area are the vent caps for the heater and the old gas exhaust for the H2O heater. My vent for the septic vacuum is outside the eave, but before the drip edge.
I thought I had it fixed from inside, but then it began dripping in another location in the bathroom as well as the adjacent laundry room. In the laundry room,m I think it may be the boot, but something tells me that it is running one of the cross members between the trusses. I layed a couple of tarps over the area directly above the leak zone, from the hip to the eave, but it was leaking the other morning when I got out of bed.
So, are you saying that I need to reshingle it or lay more shingles over it? Cause I would still rather roll some liquid on there and call it good.

Old 05-28-08, 07:21 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unhappy

ANYTHING that sitcks out of the roof is subject to leaking! look CAREFULLY at everything. if there is patching compound around any of the objects, check it for cracks. if it has been applied for a long time, it may have cracked allowing water to seep in. if the attic space is accessible, check for streaks where water has been traveling. if it has leaked for a while, the streaks will probably be dark/black. look for the highest point of entry. replacement of the roof shingles is the BEST way to fix, using the rubber boots for all pipes/vents to seal them. the more patching you put on, the more you will have to remove when you do replace the roof. (I HATE WATER LEAKS!!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: