Roofing Questions

Old 05-27-08, 11:36 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofing Questions

I am trying to decide whether to add a second layer to my existing one layer of shingles on the roof or replace the roof. I am being told by roofers that the existing shingles are in good shape and can be covered with a second layer. Here are my questions:

1) Since the second layer is cheaper but the manufacturer doesn't warranty the second layer (but roofer will), is it better to strip down to wood and reshingle or cover existing with a second layer?

2) The pipes coming out of my roof, the sealant, has worn off. I am told there is a cover (looks silver) that goes over these pipes...does this protect that area (pipes) from leaking?

3) The previous roofer cover the lead flashing around the chimney with tar. I am being told that this isn't good for the chimney brick and should be removed and a new layer of lead "sheathing" placed between roof and chimney. Is this the proper way to "flash" the chimney area?

4) Finally, I had to install flashing in my front gutters because the existing (newer side) of roof shingles didn't extend beyond the roof line (was told they were cut too short). This caused water to run between edge of roof and gutter which damaged window frames directly below the area. The roofer now wants to extend the roof out past the roof line to eliminate this problem and reduce water damming. Does this sound right?

I've always gotten great advice on this forum. Thanks, in advance, for your advice.
Liz

Old 05-27-08, 01:17 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Roof

The roof decking needs to be inspected and repaired as needed. Tear off the old shingles. Fix all structural problems before the new roof is installed. Costs more now but may save having to roof again prematurely.

Old 05-28-08, 08:16 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

agree with wirepuller. pay me now or pay me later! do it right one time. if you can't or don't have time/money to do it right, when will there be time/money to do it over????

Old 05-28-08, 10:29 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
For the most part, I agree with the concept above... On the other hand, covering the existing shingles is much cheaper and will probably last longer than you own the house. If $$ is an issue, and you don't plan on owning the property till you die - then going the cheaper route is not necessarily a bad thing.

I've added a second layer of shingles when conditions dictate doing so - and have stripped/re-shingled when conditions dicated doing that also........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: