Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Is There Really Much Difference with Gutter Apron and Drip Edge?

Old 05-30-08, 06:51 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Is there much difference between Gutter Apron and Drip Edge? A Roofing contractor gave us a quote to put on a new roof and he quoted Gutter Apron which he said is much better than drip edge.

Also in our area we see a lot of badly stained Algae roofs and are wondering if promixity to a lake causes more algae stained roofs.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-30-08, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
No roof expert here, but I've researched it quite a bit over the years. This is what I've found.

Gutter apron goes over the roof deck, under the shingles and over the edge of the gutters. Normally used when shingles do not protrude far enuf past the edge of the gutter, or on a low slope, where water could wick back. Water has no where to go except into the gutter.

Drip edge goes over the roof deck, under the shingles and directly to the trim (facia or rake boards), behind the back of the gutter. It could be used where you have no gutters, if you use gutter apron everywhere else. The design causes water to drip off clear of the facia, roof deck, and rake boards. I hate to see where a roof is done well, but they leave the exposed edge of the plywood or OSB exposed on the sides. Guess what starts to delaminate and rot?

Here in N. AZ very very few folks have gutters, period (Great, one less thing for me to maintain!). But everyone has drip edge .

Seems it would be a bit more difficult to replace gutters later on with apron...but I'm not sure.

As to the algae/mold, you may want to find out about the zinc (?) or copper(?) strips that are put up near the peak of the roof, under the shingle edge. Apparently the metal poisons the plants when they try to grow on the shingles.

Old 05-30-08, 11:26 AM
I
Thanks Gunguy. We have a pretty steep roof on our 2 storey home which I believe is a 12/12 pitch and I am not sure if we also really need Gutter Apron. I assume that ice-water shield over the eaves would also help to prevent damming and subsequent roof leakage.

Old 06-03-08, 10:47 PM
I assume that ice-water shield over the eaves would also help to prevent damming and subsequent roof leakage.
-IRISH KING23

USE A 3X3 THAT GOES BEHIND THE GUTTER,THEN SEAL THE BACK OF THE GUTTER TO THE 3X3 WITH HIGH QUALITY TRI-POLYMER SEALANT(gEOCELL 2300),with drip edge,or gutter apron, above the gutter the melting water will go under either ,enter your soffit,and run down your bearing wall-it`d be like you wasted your money on the ice&water shield,also make sure any ice&water shield goes at least 2 ft. past interior side of bearing wall

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: