Gutter Drainage Question

Old 06-05-08, 09:16 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gutter Drainage Question

I'm starting a project to redo the landscaping in my front yard. During this time I would like to address my gutter downspouts. Currently they drain to splash blocks that divert the water away from my house only about 3 feet. I would like to extend the downspouts by burying them in the ground and having them drain underground further away from the house. The front yard has sufficient slope that this should work fine. I have some questions however. Can I have this all completely buried and just have something like a french drain that the underground downspout extensions connect to? One downspout is in a small bed between the garage and the front door, the only way to go undergound is to dig under my sidewalk that goes from the driveway to the front door, what things should I do/not do for this?

Old 06-24-08, 06:16 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drain

I am not an expert, but I can tell you that I would probably steer away from the idea of digging under a sidewalk. I have the same issue - one gutter that drains between the garage and the sidewalk. I pointed the gutter so that it drains out and splashes across the sidewalk so it runs into the yard. I also recently put in a type of french drain. I chose to use PVC piping and drill holes along the length of it. I also used a mesh covering (like a sleeve) to prevent the rocks, dirt, etc. from getting into it. Just some thoughts...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: