Roof With 2 Different Pitches?

Old 06-05-08, 11:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof With 2 Different Pitches?

My wife and I are planning on renovating our backyard (pool, hot tub, patio, outdoor kitchen, etc.) but there are some things I'd like to have done to avoid possible problems in the future. Now the problem! We need a new roof. The house was built in 1971 with wood shingles. At some point later, a layer of ashphalt shingles was laid over it. At yet another point, a second layer of ashphalt shingles was laid over the first layer. Now I have to have the entire roof replaced and, remember, there was no decking underneath the wooden shingles. Here's my question: Is it possible to change the pitch of one side of the roof so that it extends farther? We would like the backside of the roof to cover a slab I have in the back. Does that make sense? I want this side of the roof to start and end at their original heights but I want the span / stretch between these points to be longer. Is that possible? Or do I have to reframe the entire section of the roof that will be affected? HELP!!!!

Rick

Old 06-11-08, 10:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Or do I have to reframe the entire section of the roof that will be affected?
that seems obvious unless i am misinterpreting the question. if you intend to create a new slope from an existing ridge to a the new patio, that will require framing right?

if your roof is framed with trusses, i would imagine you could stick frame a more gradual slope on top of the existing top chord of each truss, effectively creating a new truss with a longer span and shallower slope.

if the roof is framed with rafters, then the job would be easier. the only hang up i can see is that the new, bigger roof surface might put more strain on the existing ridge beam than the old roof did.

if it were me i'd create a seperate roof above the patio that meets and dies in to the main roof. a gable or a shed roof depending on what matches the house. its just my opinion that when the main roof covers a patio it doesn't look quite right 9 times out of 10. not always though....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: