Roof Inspection

Old 06-07-08, 05:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Inspection

I am selling my house and I know the roof is old but I am confidant that it will last another 5 years or so. I was told by the realitor to get an inspection of the roof. She did not have anyone to refer me to. Should I go to a normal house inspector or a roofer. I am conserned that going to a roofer will just tell me to replace the roof just to incease buisness/get more money. Any help in this area will help a lot.

Old 06-07-08, 07:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are selling your home, the purchaser will have it all inspected.

Old 06-07-08, 09:10 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can call a professional inspector to find out how much he would charge just to inspect the roof and give you a written report so you can give a copy to the realtor. If you know an independent contractor who is licensed and insured, he could also do the same thing.

Not all professional inspectors climb up a ladder and walk the roof. Sometimes they use binoculars. Walking roofs can be dangerous. Some roofs are so steep that a home inspector will not attempt an up close inspection.

Usually an inspection includes a report on on chimneys and flashings. The inspection of the chimney is visual--condition of crown, cracked mortar missing bricks, etc. The inspector will pay particular attention to the condition of asphalt shingles. Shingles on south side of roof tend to have a shorter life due to heat exposure and roofs over poorly ventilated attics tend to have a shorter life. He will look to see how many layers of shingles are on the roof. (Over roofing is not recommended.) He will look for drip edge and inspect valleys. He will look for raised shingles and missing shingles. If roof is wood shingles, he will inspect for decay. If metal, he will inspect for rust. And, he will inspect gutters and downspouts.

He might also include an inspection of the attic for signs of moisture penetration, looking for stained wood, wet insulation, etc. He might also report if the attic ventilation is adequate.

You need a written report to pass on to the realtor. And, you need to know if there is anything you need to do prior to selling the home. Often is the case where sellers have a whole house inspection done as part of staging the home to sell, just to feel assured that they did not overlook something that needs to be done to get the house ready for the market. The three or so hundred dollars may be a good investment and an assurance to potential buyers that you've already had the house inspected. This can be a good selling point and may help get you the price you want. You might feel alot better about the home you are putting on the market if you have it professionally inspected from top to bottom. Potential buyers can, of course, also hire their own inspectors if they choose.

Old 06-08-08, 08:22 PM
J
joe, normally the potential buyer or mortgage company will request a roof inspection. I have done hundreds through the years for real estate agents and mortgage companies. In my area of the country your situation is unusual. I have never known of a seller getting just a roofing inspection report before there are any potential buyers or offers. If this is common in your area your real estate agent should be able to give a refer you someone.

Old 06-11-08, 06:09 PM
As stated before, buyer is responsible for hiring an inspector.

Think about it. If you buy a house, won't you want to hire the inspector? Not read a report the SELLER hands you that says everything is OK.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: