Two "at the Ridge" Questions

Old 06-09-08, 02:43 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Two "at the Ridge" Questions

As I've noted elsewhere, I've been slowly redoing my roof, single-handedly and as I've been known to do, I'm asking for advice in this forum before I get too far along on a wrong-headed path.

Thus far, I've only been working my way up to "almost the ridge" and then going on to another section. Now, I'm within days of getting to the point, where I can cap-off most of the main house and that's left me wondering about the proper way to proceed.

First of all, the house has gable vents. I may replace one with a fan, when I get to the inside of the attic, but that's what it has right now.

1) It appears that the previous owners lapped the felt over the ridge and then applied their ridge shingles over it. I guess because there were shortcuts taken with the reroofing jobs that happened after the original owner/builder died, I wanted to make sure that this is proper, acceptable, or if it's more advisable to do something else?

2) I've been installing the W-Valley flashing, but I've held-off on the upper section(s) until I do some more research or ask in this forum.

It appears to me that if I install the ridge shingles along the two perpendicular ridges, then I should be covered, but the shingle along the main ridge is going to sit upon the top of the "w", so it'll be up in the air. The only other thing that I can think of is to start the "w" a little lower on the slope, but that's just going to leave me an open end. So, my second question is the "proper" way to handle the top-end of a w-valley?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all help;
I never would be able to fix my fixer-upper, if it weren't for these forums.

Old 06-11-08, 06:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flatten it with your hammer where it crosses the top. Similar to how standing seams are dressed down.
http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/ima...76/45th19F.JPG

Old 06-12-08, 04:38 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks Tinner -- I had considered whacking it flat and had also thought about cutting a line along the top of the "w" (only so far as would be covered by shingles), so that the tin might lay flatter.

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: