Flat roof guidance needed

Old 06-10-08, 04:08 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flat roof guidance needed

I live on an island. We've got all the amenities except competent contractors with summer availability. I need a new roof. Here are the special challenges (besides those mentioned above):
  1. The roof is flat
  2. the roof was pitched for a center drain
  3. The roof drain was moved to the perimeter (swimming pool)
  4. The roof is aging torch-down
  5. The insulation underneath is powdering (and squished)
  6. The roof is oddly shaped (45x28x23xabout 35)
  7. Money is short

I had thought of building a slightly pitched structure with 2x12s ripped at an angle (to provide slope). I'd like to have room for insulation and provide some structure to allow standing.

From other posts, it looks like a do-it-yourself torch-down is out. Has anyone a reasonable alternative for do-it-yourself?

BTW building a pitch seems cost prohibitive

Old 06-10-08, 04:37 PM
Received 60 Upvotes on 54 Posts
You got a swimming pool on your roof???
You must have some serious support under that roof!!!
It should go without saying but I will say it...SPEND THE MONEY NOW TO DO IT RIGHT OR SPEND EVEN MORE TO REMOVE WHAT YOU DID BEFORE AND DO IT RIGHT LATER !!
No-one has answered this post due to the fact that we do not know what the supports is like for your roof or how bad the roof is. Anything can be done that you have the money or inclination to do. Making sure it is safe and will last is up to someone that knows what they are doing and can see the problems.
Sorry for being short with the answer (well really kind of long) but I for 1 do not want this forum to get a bad name for giving bad advice. Hope you understand.

Old 06-10-08, 04:57 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't have an answer for the OP and I may be burning a bridge which may affect answers to my own posts, but Ben, you posted your response 29 minutes after the thread started according to the timestamps. It looks like the OP had interpreted from previous research that torch-down wasn't a DIY project, but I really didn't see him badmouth the forum and 29 minutes seems like a fairly quick response, plus you gave him some more things to think about...

Old 06-11-08, 08:56 AM
Received 60 Upvotes on 54 Posts
Point taken. No bridges burnt here. I like most love to do it myself and am always short on money. I will even go so far as to say I have done some crazy fixes on my own things. Sorry if I offended anyone. My bad.

Old 06-12-08, 08:25 AM
W
Clarification

"The roof drain was moved to the middle (swimming pool)."

OK, not literally a swimming pool; but since the roof was slopped to accommodate a center drain, and the drain was subsequently moved to the perimeter, the water roof holds about 3 inches of water at center and 2 inches at parimeter, before it begins to drain.

There are 4" by 12" beams every five feet. Over that are 4x6 tongue and grove planks.

Old 06-12-08, 09:19 AM
W
westnlas

I think your best solution is the one you already mentioned. Use rippings to create a slope in the roof, cover with new sheathing (OSB) and re-roof. You could probably use roll roofing (90#). The easiest way to get the rippings is to string some dry lines from several points on the parapet to the drain. I would make sure to build a well for the drain also and install an overflow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: