Patch hole in roof

Old 06-14-08, 03:25 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patch hole in roof

Greetings everyone I have question that I am hopping someone around here can help me with .

Alright the problem is that when we bought this house a couple of years ago the previous owners had installed a wood burning stove in the basement and had run a stove pipe up through the floor into a bedroom closet and through the roof, and now the family wants me to remove said stove and pipe.

My question to you good folks is how would I go about patching the hole in the asphalt shingle roof as it already has 2 or 3 layers atm is it possible to just remove the pipe ,and remove the damaged top layer of shingles only and do what the following site suggests ? http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/r...ak/smhole.html.

the reason I ask is because I think that site is just showing a roof with a single layer of shingles and I dunno if multiple layers will be an issue.

:crosses fingers:: Hope to hear some good news on this.

Old 06-14-08, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smile

couldn't have said it better myself! that is an excellent repair. if you have more than one layer of shingles, you will want to add those layers under the finished layer if you want it to look as it should and not have a "dip" in the shingles. the wood patch and sealant and paper are the keys.

by the way, WELCOME to the forums.

Old 06-19-08, 03:30 AM
L
Thanks for the help mate I did just as the directions on the site suggested ,but I don't think I used enough shingles over/under the patch as it has a slight sag so my next question is will said minor sag be an issue or just an eyesight issue ?

Please say it's not a problem as I do not feel like climbing up there again (took a lot to combat my fear of heights to get up there in the first place) not to mention I am sure all the roofing sealant I used under the shingles will be a pain to remove ,but better safe than sorry.

Oh and thanks for the help and the welcome mate =)

Old 06-20-08, 04:31 AM
He got the roof right, then I looked around. He really messed a window up. None of us are experts on everything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: