Deck roof help

Old 06-26-08, 10:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck roof help

Hi ya'll.
What i have is a 12'x12' deck attached to the rear of the house. The house roof is like a 5/10 pitch (i think i have that right) - pretty steep. It overhangs the deck about 16" currently. The deck is about 4' off the ground, VERY securely mounted into concrete with 4x4 posts. What i want to do is attach a "shed type" of extension to the existing roof, and take it out to cover the deck with approx 4/12 pitch. I'm looking at using 2 4x4's to support the outer end, the inner end i want to mount up on the existing roof. I intend to use 2 2x8s on top of the 4x4's for the outer truss, and use either 2x4's or 2x6's to traverse the approx 14-15' to the existing roof. Utilize 2x4's for the soffit area and inner deck roof. Tear off the shingles first of course on the house rear, and re-roof it afterward. Does that plan sound ok to ya'll?
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Don

Old 07-12-08, 09:47 AM
i hate to ask this but is it going to be open rafters or are you going to close it all in?

Old 07-13-08, 08:03 PM
F
Double check your pitch and if you do have a 5 on 12, you will need to consider something else than a 4 on 12. You would possible be so far up the roof, it will look goofy. If you have a small amount of intelligence, which most do. Look at doing a simple hip roof. You will be much happier and it will look soooo.. much better.
If cost is an issue, then you will look at a much less pitch than a 4 on 12. Comp shingles are limited to 4 on 12 warranty. That doesn't mean you can't install them, it just means it's not going to be warranted and it runs the risk of leaking. Even running a watershield under the shingles at a low pitch, runs the risk of the fasteners rusting out and water hitting the deck.
For a hip roof, you could use some simple 2X6 framing. Use a 2X8 for your hip and ridge rafter. You can get your 4 on 12 or 5 on 12 pitch. You'll be able to brag to your friends about your skill.

Old 07-14-08, 07:12 PM
one other thing have you thought about just getting an awning? im not saying the jobs to big, im just asking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: