Sagging roof repair

Old 06-29-08, 10:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sagging roof repair

I have recently purchased a foreclosure home. I knew that there were a few sags in the roof when I bought it and now I am ready to initiate repairs. The house is approx 25 ft wide the roof joists are 2 x 6 on 16" centers. They tie into a 2 x 8 ridge that runs the length of the house at the top. There is no type of bracing other than a short piece of 1 x 8 fastened horizontally between the two 2x6's approx 2ft down from the ridge. It appears to me that a few of the 2x6's have simply sagged a bit. I am contemplating adding some upright 2x4's in strategic locations above the load bearing walls (they would need to be angled a bit to push the areas up that I need though). I am thinking about adding some 2 x4 's maybe across the roof joists to give me something to hit with my 2x4's shoot I do not know what to do. After doing a search around the net it appears that 4 years of college and a engineering degree would be required to figure out what to do. I was wondering if anyone here might have a common sense approach developed from experience lol. Let me know please.

Old 07-12-08, 09:41 AM
You got some good ideas, and seem to be on the right track. I am no pro but I know what you are talking about. Let me ask you is there a hallway wall running the length of the house same as the roof line? if so what i would do is nail a 2X4 flat under your 2X6's over the hallway wall then nail a 2X4 sideways to the other 2X4 making a L. I hope you know what I mean. Then nail 2 2X4 over the hallway wall one at a time. Then jack the roof up or cut your braces the length you will need them to be to get the roof up to where you want it. Square on the bottom and 2 miter cuts on top to fit the 2X4's and put one under each truss this should fix it. I hope this helps you, and should only take 3 or 4 hours to do.

Old 07-13-08, 07:26 PM
F
I agree with ICB. Run some 2X4's or 2X6's across the ceiling joist. For strength, nail one flat and the other next to it, perpendicular, at an "L". If you start to jack up some of the roof rafters, you might check the collar ties (those are the 1X8's that are between your rafters at the top. Make sure that they are not split. If they look fine, check the gap at the Ridge, (2X8) Not always, but if you find that when you jack up a rafter and it seems to be pushing the ceiling joist down, try "V" cutting the roof rafter. Push it up and sister another 2X8 next to it. This is a very simple job that you CAN do!. Don't get overheated and a framing gun makes it much more simple.

The key here is if you can find a wall to span over, you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 07-18-08, 10:45 PM
sounds good fellas,be careful with the framing gun,accidents happen,be prepared

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: