new drainage for downpipes

Old 07-05-08, 03:55 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all -
I have two downpipes that don't drain away properly. One is semi-attached to a very thin (less than 65mm) flimsy metal pipe in the ground that just fills up and spurts water everywhere. The other one is jammed into what looks like an old clay pipe and jammed up with rubble and mud. Both are right next to my basement walls, which get damp and have leaked during heavy rain.
I believe I need new drainage! Have a few questions:
1. If I want to install new drainage, is it simply a question of digging a trench away from the house and burying pipe in the ground?

2. If I also wanted to install a u-shape french drain around the front of the house - is it possible to connect these downpipes into that?

3. When terminating these pipes to 'daylight' what can be done with them? won't water just pool underneath them and saturate the grass? any creative solutions for making this more attractive?

Well, thanks a lot in advance for your help -

Old 07-05-08, 08:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
let`s go with #1,use abs pipe,and where it comes out,make something decorative with rocks,or cut it an inch or two past where it comes out of the ground

Old 07-05-08, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Regarding #2 -

It is not a good idea the combine the two drains.

#3 -

When you "drain to daylight", your discharge should be where there is a slope away from the home. There may be the option of discharging into a dry well (rock to hold a limited amount of water) that is controlled by the soil type. If you have clay is will absorb into the soil very slowly. A dry well should be located as far away from the home as possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: