Eternabond vs. Liguid Rubber - which is better?

Old 07-07-08, 05:09 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Eternabond vs. Liguid Rubber - which is better?

I have 10 year old hidden gutters that are lined with EPDM. The material itself looks ok but several of the seams are coming apart. Looks like the previous owner has tried patching with asphalt roof patch and that is not holding.

I want to do a good job but, because of the height of the roof, I donít want to spend a lot of time up there.

I see there are tape materials (like Eternabond tape) and liquid (e.g., Liguid Roof & Liquid rubber).

In some areas it looks like I might have a problem removing the flashing near the roof edge which will limit how good a repair I can do up the side of the gutter.

I have read that when the liquid products are applied you can get swelling depending on thickness of coating.

My hunch is that I might get a better seal if I brush/squeegee on the liquid material vs. trying to get the tape up the side and under the flashing. But the swelling problem bothers me.

I believe if I totally clean the old asphalt patch with something like white gas/naphtha that either product should adhere.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Old 08-04-08, 10:11 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with solving gutter leaks

Reposted in hopes of a reply

I have 10 year old hidden gutters that are lined with EPDM. The material itself looks ok but several of the seams are coming apart. Looks like the previous owner has tried patching with asphalt roof patch and that is not holding.

I want to do a good job but, because of the height of the roof, I donít want to spend a lot of time up there.

I see there are tape materials (like Eternabond tape) and liquid (e.g., Liguid Roof & Liquid rubber).

In some areas it looks like I might have a problem removing the flashing near the roof edge which will limit how good a repair I can do up the side of the gutter.

I have read that when the liquid products are applied you can get swelling depending on thickness of coating.

My hunch is that I might get a better seal if I brush/squeegee on the liquid material vs. trying to get the tape up the side and under the flashing. But the swelling problem bothers me.

I believe if I totally clean the old asphalt patch with something like white gas/naphtha that either product should adhere.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: