installing rain gutters

Old 07-08-08, 08:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing rain gutters

Does the gutter go under or over the flashing. My roofer says over and my contractor says under. Broward County, Florida

Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-09-08, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
When you say flashing..do you mean the L-shaped drip edge thats attached to the plywood roof decking? Or did they just put roll flashing under the 1st course of shingles?

If it's over the drip edge, then you will have water running behind the gutter itself.

Can't see why they disagree. Maybe its just a communication or terminology thing. Theres a few folks from FL here, you'll get a better answer soon.

Old 07-11-08, 07:54 AM
L
I pulled the gutter off of the backside of my garage to address fascia rot. The gutters were under the lip you are talking about. Fascia rot was happening because that lip is about 2" sort of the side of the house.

I have also read that you're supposed to start 1/2" below that lip and lower the gutter 1/16" for every foot of distance to get proper drainage. Does this sound right? I thought it would be better to start under the lip itself and then drop the height 1/16" every foot.

Old 07-19-08, 08:10 PM
YOU WANT A FLASHING APPROXIMATELY 3X3 TO GO BEHIND THE GUTTER,if the metal hangs into the gutter,in a backup situation the water will get at the wood fascia,and over into the soffit area where it will cause damage,when the flashing is behind the gutter,and ice and water shield is adhered to the flashing ,all paths into the structure are closed,and any excess backup water(from when gutter is clogged)runs over the gutter and can`t enter the house.this is how mines set up before gutter installation,the gutter is installed over the
3"x3"metal:

Old 07-19-08, 08:14 PM
originally gutters were installed dead level as water will end up in the hole,with a slight pitch to the outlet area,you will be fine,typically we may pitch a 50 ft gutter from the center to one end(outlet each side)about 1 inch for the whole 25 ft.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: