How to Ventilatie a small shingled eave

Old 07-13-08, 09:28 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Ventilatie a small shingled eave

We recently bought a 30-year old two storey house that has a shingled eave halfway up the back (south) of the house approximately 32 feet long and 2 feet deep. I guess the idea was to provide some shade over the windows, and it also provides some partial protection from rain,

The problem is that the shingles on this eave have deteriorated at a much faster rate than the rest of the roof. I think shingles are 12 years old and while the rest of the roof is still showing no signs of wear, the shingles on this eave are peeling, cracked and even full of holes and must (obviously) must be replaced. I can do that, but first I want to look at fixing the problem which I understand caused the problem in the first place - lack of proper ventilation.

There are soffit vents all along this eave but no top-side vents and obviously more ventilation is needed. My home supply store said I should just get over it and change the shingles, but surely there must be some way of improving this. What about some combination of a top vent and use of fans at one or both ends? Other ideas? Or should I just get over it and reshingle? I am thinking of fixing the problem first in case I want to install a roof vent before reshingling. - Jonathon

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-08, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
An area that is 32' long and 2' wide would cost about $40 in materials to reshingle. So I can see why some of your advice may be as you say "to get over it and reshingle".

Adding a couple roof louver vents would help give the area some exhaust, but would be extremely unattractive. Cor-A-Vent (or similar) might help ventilation if you installed it along the roof-wall intersection and flashed over it, so you could look into something like that. (a Cor-A-Vent X-5 ridge vent cut in half, and applied to the top edge of your roof).