gutter questions

Old 07-14-08, 07:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gutter questions

I have a home that was built in 1916. I just had a roof put on and then new gutters. Why do they put the straps on top of the new shingles and not underneath? I have been asking the person that roofed my house, but not getting straight answers, cause all the neighbors have theirs under the shingles.

Old 07-14-08, 07:43 PM
what straps? im not sure what your talking about. when i hung gutters we used what are called hidden hangers, they hook in and under the front and then slide and clip on the back and you screw it in place.

Old 07-14-08, 07:53 PM
not sure how to post a picture to this site

Last edited by help me please; 07-14-08 at 08:04 PM. Reason: picture did not show
Old 07-14-08, 08:54 PM
http://photobucket.com/
everyone on here uses this. its free and E Z to use. i would give you my E-mail but im new to this site as well and they dont like you to im or work things out one on one so if you can use this tool and post it for every one ok. and i will help as much as i can and im sure if i cant someone here can.

Old 07-15-08, 07:39 PM
Old 07-16-08, 07:36 AM
its gone again. please try again.

Old 07-18-08, 10:23 AM
L
From what I know, and I've done a lot of reading up on gutters lately, is that straps are supposed to go UNDER the singles. It shouldn't make any difference in the function of your roof or gutters, just a little unsightly.

Old 07-18-08, 01:07 PM
the straps should be secured with the ends(where the nails/screws are) under the shingles,otherwise you`re relying on caulk to keep the fastener holes from leaking through your roof-it`s ok for the straps to show though,as long as the ends and fasteners are under the shingles

Old 08-11-08, 04:02 PM
T
Question 6 inch Gutter question

Sorry to post a question here, but DIY keeps changing their format & I cant figure out how to post a new question. I want to put up new 6 inch gutters after having a foot of water flood my basement. So far, 3 "gutter" guys have been reluctant to give me prices. I have a price from 1. The other 2 just would not call me back. I cannot understand this as I am willing to pay for this & being that my basement was already flooded & Im sure my Insurance will not pay if it floods again. Can anyone tell me why they are so reluctant to do this? Thanks/Jina

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: