What to look for when replacing a roof

Old 07-16-08, 12:07 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What to look for when replacing a roof

I need a new shingle. I think the old one is asbestos shingles. What should be specified in the contract with the roofer?

Old 07-16-08, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Removal/disposal of old roofing materials as needed.

Total area of roof should be stated clearly.

All materials included should be stated clearly so that there are no misunderstandings or bait and switches going on. Such as:

bid is for 25 sq. of Tamko Heritage 30yr XL AR shingles (color: weathered wood) and labor to install.

Whether or not flashings and accessories will be replaced or not is often a subject of contention. Asking and having it in writing is the best policy.

Does the bid include new roof flashings such as pipe boots, drip edge, gutter apron, valley tin, roof louvers? What about ridge venting if applicable? What is NOT included? Get them to tell you.

Is ice and water shield needed in your area, or required on certain slopes? Is this included?

In the event that additional repairs need to be done, it's nice to have in writing how much additional labor will be if there happen to be some surprises.

Terms of payment should also be agreed upon.

If you can have them narrow down the time-frame in writing, that can also give you some peace of mind. There's nothing worse than having a contract to have your roof done, and then waiting for years to have the work completed. Some contractors simply can't give an exact estimate in that regard, but setting a reasonable time limit also gives you some leverage if needed. At a minimum, it puts your expectations in writing.

Those are just a few things I'd iron out if I was going to have someone work for me.

Old 07-18-08, 10:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
REMOVAL OF OLD MATERIAL,AND DISCARDING OF SAME,TYPE UNDERLAYMENTS,HOW FLASHINGS SHOULD BE TREATED(BEST IF REPLACED,EXCEPT HEAT FLUE IS COMMONLY RE-USED,what type and grade shingles,contractor to provide copies of insurance,start and finish dates(weather permitting,copy of contractors license which shows roofing is covered,both under his license,and insurance,and check your local cosumers protection agency,or the BBB for any previous,or outstanding complaints

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: