Adding pitch to a flat roof

Old 07-18-08, 01:35 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Adding pitch to a flat roof

Hello, Everyone!

I have an old colonial home which was probably built in the late 1700's or early 1800's.

One section of the roof is flat, and I have discovered that it is now leaking. This section of roof is approximately 6 x 6 and it is on the second story (approximately 30 feet off the ground). I want to add a pitch to the roof. What materials will I need? How difficult of a job is this? Is this something I can do by myself? (I am a 40-ish woman who has already replaced 4 roofs on various parts of the house with that rolled asphalt. The thing that worries me is the height/accessability factor.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-18-08, 09:42 PM
you can use certainteed flintlastic sa roofing system,if you have 1/4" per ft pitch-instructions are on the box--adding rafters(splicing in) to change the roof pitch should be considered a professional job-normally so would the flat roof work-only you know your limitations

Old 07-20-08, 06:09 AM
N
Unhappy

could I just do some rudimentary angled plywood under asphalt paper? I just want to get it to stop leaking for a while until I can sell the house...

Old 07-21-08, 09:44 PM
no,aqny plywood w2ould need to be properly supported,the inspector will have them hit you up for the $ to repair it anyway,better to do it right 1st,this way ,there`s no issues when you sell your home

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: