Need a roofing soultion

Old 07-20-08, 03:35 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need a roofing soultion

I have a similar question. We have an addition in the back of our victorian, that WAS flat roofed, when we went to replace it, we discovered every stud, every beam rafter, basically everything was rotted. We also discovered that a small section of the "foundation" was really a cement over cellar door thing that I decided was too risky to use as the original wall was literally propped upp with a 2.6 just wedged under the toe plate and this sloped cement over cellar door contraption, we have decided to not reframe that section and instead leave the room a L shape. Here is the question, whats the best way to roof this? I was trying to do a slope roof but because of the length of the longer part of the room, it turns into a pretty steep peak in order to keep enough height at the back of the room. I'd appreciate any advice anyone has. We havent put any framework for the roof in yet, while we ponder so, I guess anything is a possibility. The dimensions of the room are: The bottom of the "L" is 4x 13 and the top is 5x 16. Also, if I went to a sloped roof, does the slope really need to be 2 inches for every foot?( im trying to run the water back away from the house so basically heading towards the very top of the "L")

Old 07-21-08, 09:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you might try a hip roof design to work around that area,hard to say without pics,and the roof pitch minimum is 2" per ft--you should aim for 4" per ft. so you don`t have problems,with 2" per ft.,total ice,and water shield would be required to begin with,and dimensional shingles would still be a problem,usually at 2" per ft. we`ll recommend a rolled SBS ROOF SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: