hardy plank question

Old 07-28-08, 12:23 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hardy plank question

I just had hardy plank installed for my fascia boards. I am getting ready to put up a vinyl gutter and have never tried to screw into hardy plank.

Do I need a special kind of screw? Do I need a special kind of drill bit? Do I need to drill pilot holes at all?

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks, this is my first post.

Old 08-04-08, 10:46 AM
W
how tick is your hardy plank and is there anything behind it? Have they fixed the hardy plank to the roof truss or did they install a 'sub' fascia like a piece of 2x6 before it?

Depending on the thickness - it would be better to install the gutter using the butt end of each truss to screw the gutter brackets into and hardy plank does not require any special screws but I would not rely on it to hold the gutter in place if it was less than an inch thick.

Old 08-04-08, 11:10 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Stranger,

It would be helpful if you would fill out your location in your profile so we know what area you are from (what the weather condition are like, etc.).

If you are in a freezing area you may have problems with fiber cement boards in areas such as soffits and roof-wall junctions where they are frequently wetted and subjected to many freeze-thaw cycles (this is a result of physical damage, not "water damage" - you can leave such siding in a bucket of water at room temperature for years without deterioration), here are some example of what happens:

This is one reason manufactures of such products require "holdbacks" from roof surfaces, kickout flashing at roof-wall junctions, separation from grade, and the like.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: