What is the impact of old plywood under OSB?

Old 08-04-08, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the impact of old plywood under OSB?

In mid-May, we had a roofer put a new roof on our house. The quote was $7,000. On the first day, at noon, the guy who sold us the roof (who really impressed me, not the typical sales guy who shows up at your door, but someone who had been referred to us) showed up and said that the plywood underneath is terrible. He said we would need to put new plywood over the whole thing. He then found out from the city that the requirement was for OSB, so we had to pay $3,200 more. The OSB went over the plywood. In a conversation my husband had with his brother, my brother in law said the old plywood should have come off.

May 31: huge hail storm. The roofer got back on our roof and said there was limited damage, so our roof was fine. Last week, as I was driving through our neighborhood seeing all the new roofs go up, I decided to call State Farm.

This morning: The assessor showed up and said we needed a new roof. I asked about what my brother in law had said, and he said that generally an old layer like that would come off before OSB would go on.

Now what? The roofer had said we could use Visa, but then he said we couldn't. Well, he ended up accepting Visa because he originally had said we could. I no way had anticipated we'd get into a dispute with him -- we just were getting points on a reward card. The first half of the total was already paid, but the second half and the additional $3,200 went on Visa. It was supposed to be paid in the next few days, so I already have the total amount in checking to pay off autopay. I called Visa and put the entire amount -- just over $7,000 -- into dispute.

I called the roofer this morning and told the receptionist what had happened. She said she'd get the sales guy to call me this morning. He didn't. I told her I had put the $7,000 remaining into dispute. I just now called the sales guy and left him a message, not telling him that I had put the $7,000 into dispute. As long as the receptionist hadn't gotten back to him about the dispute, I wanted to see if he'd return my call (in which I said I was alarmed) without the threat of a Visa dispute.

The fact is that I have no idea if OSB over old plywood is acceptable or not. Visa certainly doesn't know. This dispute just gives us time to figure out how to evaluate the problem. The shingles on the roof were damaged due to hail, so there's no problem with the shingles that were put on the roof. The problem is the OSB over old plywood.

Where would I go to get information? I am about as uninformed as a person can get. I want to treat the roofer fairly. We'll have to seek quotes from roofers, and I hope this original roofer does get back to me.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Uninformed

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-08, 09:13 PM
Temporarily Suspended
My guess is the old plywood should have been removed due to a possible weight limitation on the structure, if nothing else. At the same time, the removal would have raised the price.

However, the building department in your city/town would have the real answer.

Leave the dispute opened.

Old 08-06-08, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I called the city and one of the people read off that the inspection described OBS over plywood. He said the weight shouldn't be an issue at all. They used to allow up to 3 layers of shingles, which are heavier than plywood. Now only 1 layer is allowed. I took off the dispute.

Old 08-06-08, 06:22 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Well, that was easy enough. At least you don't have a long battle to fight. I knew that the shingle limitation was changed to one layer. That's why I thought the weight of the plywood may have been an issue.

Old 08-06-08, 09:58 AM
The city official spent about 15 minutes talking to me and even read from the inspection for the new roof on our house. It is clear there was no deception in what the roofer did. He had gotten sign-off from the city. Instead of being in a big battle, I asked him about replacing the roof he just put on! Thanks for your suggestion. It's very difficult to spend so much money and then question if the job was done correctly. I didn't even know where to turn.