specs for french drain

Old 08-06-08, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
specs for french drain

here is a good turn i get to ask a question for a chance.

have a basement corner with water coming in..small amounts but still a pain...gutter was draining at the corner into coragated pipe and did have a slope towards the house...extended gutter outwards up to 18 inches further and reinstalled it back into the pipe at a good slope..checked with water hose and drainage seemed fine..backfilled against the house with pea gravel to make the slope away from the house..

after some heavy rain still getting some water at that corner not as much but still some

im thinking of installing a french drain system on this corner...i did some searching and doesnt seem to be too difficult of a thing

my question is how far down should i trentch it out....basement is about -5 feet below level...and how much gravel should i put down into the trentch before the drain itself?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-08, 02:33 PM
Temporarily Suspended
What about sealing the foundation first?

Old 08-07-08, 12:44 AM
that would be my next step if this doesnt work...its a finished basement so it would be more expensive and time consuming to remove everything and reinstall

Old 08-07-08, 06:37 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The foundation gets sealed from the outside. You don't have to remove anything, just dig.

Old 08-07-08, 07:23 AM
You say you backfilled with pea gravel to slope away from house. I am thinking that you need to remove that gravel and put dirt there to slope away from house. The gravel will allow the water to still leach into the foundation.
You can buy bags of soil to put there and if the rest of the house has pea gravel for decoration you can place landscape fabric over the dirt and then add the rock for decoration.

Old 08-07-08, 08:11 PM
hey thanks for the info..will give that a shot..just have to wait the monsoon like weather out