how to deal with an indignant roofing contractor

Old 08-11-08, 12:02 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to deal with an indignant roofing contractor

Hello
I have a general question. We had our roof replaced 7 years ago and now a leak developed right over one of our bedrooms. Matter of fact, the leak is dripping directly onto the junction box which houses the wiring for a ceiling fan. I called out the roofing contractor and he said that he cannot locate the leak unless it is raining outside. I went into the attic with him and I pointed out a whitish looking ring on the underside of the 1x6 roof rafters. I suggested that is where the leak is but he told me that he was the professional and that it needed to be raining to pinpoint the leak. This roof supposedly has a 30yr warranty. If it wasnt for this "warranty", i would get hammer a finishing nail up through the whitish ring, then go up on the roof and look to see where it protruded. Then I would take out the nail and use clear silicone under and around all the nearby shingles. Im no roofer but this is how I would attempt a fix (short of a reroof). I think this guy is blowing smoke up my rearend telling me that the only way to locate a leak is when its raining out......what do you think? Am I all mistaken? this guy is a real $%*&!!!!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-08, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm sure a Pro will respond...but I always thought a water hose on a spray setting was a pretty good simulation of rain.

That said, water can travel a long way from the actual leak, and drip off somewhere totally unrelated.

Personally, I'm surprised he came out after 7 yrs. Maybe he's not such an [email protected]&#(@#) after all? He's still in business and willing to honor his warranty. I'd give him a chance, just make sure he knows you expect him to show up the next time it starts to rain. And greet him with a coffee or something.

Everyone can have a bad day....right?

Old 08-11-08, 01:46 PM
K
You might want to read your contract, proposal, bid or anything else you may have signed at the time of your roof being done. A 30 year warranty on a roof generally means the shingles themselves are warranteed not the job as a whole. I would never and do not know of anyone in the business that would put a 30 year warranty on work/labor. Gunguy 45 is absolutely right...... you can simulate rain with a hose and please, whatever you do.....don't go driving nails up the underside of your roof to try and find out if thats the spot.

Old 08-11-08, 02:42 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I inspect a lot of leaking "roofs", and the problem is almost never a leak through the shingles themselves, and almost always a leak at a flashing location such as a wall-dormer junction, a plumbing vent stack, a chimney etc. And it often is difficult to determine exactly where the leak is located when the rood is dry - water has a considerable and perverse tendency to "travel" considerable distances down rafters, across joists, along wiring, etc. before it presents itself as a "leak" on the ceiling of the floor below. Has anything on the roof changed recently - for example did you have a satellite dish installed there?

Old 08-11-08, 03:00 PM
I
Hi
Thanks for the replies so far. No, nothing has changed on the roof. The house is a rancher and was built in 1957. The leak is smack dab in the middle of the roof and it is a steady drip with moderate rainfall. At the time of the install, they cut in a ridge vent the full length of the house since it didnt have one to begin with. I dont know if this makes a difference

Old 08-12-08, 04:30 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you want to inspect the roof yourself, take a look here:

10 roof goofs and how to fix them - Installation mistakes are often to blame for leaky roofs

Old 08-12-08, 05:06 AM
T
The 30 year warranty is for the shingles themselves and is not run through the installer. His warranty was probably 1 year. Since many leaks do not originate where they reappear, it is best to wait for rain. Using a hose can work, but not always.