Roof vents leaking, how to fix?

Old 08-14-08, 12:07 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof vents leaking, how to fix?

We did a complete tear off and new roof installation about 3 years ago, on our ranch home. We did it ourselves with help of friends. We've discovered a few problems since then, one being at least one leaky roof vent. We had water dripping in from the ceiling vent in the bathroom (it's vented outside), after a heavy rain last week. We also have been smelling a musty, wet drywall smell in our other bathroom that backs up to the bathroom with the vent. Long story short, my husband went up on the roof and realized that the flashing on the vents that's supposed to be over the shingles was installed under the shingles. Everything's caulked, but is still leaking, we believe. We also recently are able to see huge water spots forming on the ceiling of the other bathroom, which I think is the cause of that smell. This bathroom is along the exterior of the house and has a window, but no vent. My husband is extremely handy, but roofing isn't his area of expertise...any advice on how to go about fixing these problems would be greatly appreciated, especially starting with the roof vents and flashing!!

Old 08-14-08, 06:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The bottom half of the vent should be exposed, upper half under the shingles. NO CAULK. It redirects the water under the shingles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: