Shingling my shed, any tips?

Old 08-19-08, 10:14 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shingling my shed, any tips?

I just started putting shingles on my shed roof last night, (waited till the sun was down a bit, cause it was 95 degrees out). Problem is, I've got a barn style roof, and the pitch is quite steep. Here's a picture of the shed to give you an idea. (This was taken before starting on the shingles.)

With the help of folks here, it looks like it's going to be a success, however, shingling is turning out to be a pain because of how steep the roof is.

It's too steep to set the shingles on, so I have to climb up and down the ladder for each shingle! And I have to move the ladder quite a bit. Any tips that would speed things up? I guess it's not taking too long, I got the first section of roof done in ah hour or so, (The section you see the ladder leaning on in the pic) but it sure seems tedious having to go up and down like that.

I've posted a few other photos and bit of my progress in this thread if you're curious.

Old 08-19-08, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Well, a couple idea pop into mind, but neither of them are OSHA approved. OSHA never recommends building your own scaffolding. (As long as you are doing this yourself and don't have employees up there, you don't have to worry about OSHA- but their guidelines are often wise to follow no matter what!) But the idea involves mounting a couple 2x12's on each gable end like a ledger. (you might have to put a spacer behind the 2x12 so that it clears your drip edge). If the 2x12 is, say 12' long, it looks like it would cantilever about 2' beyond each exterior wall, allowing you to set an aluminum plank on top of them. You'd want to use plenty of screws or lags into the 2x12, since there will be a lot of weight and cantilevered pressure on them.

The nice thing about this idea is that you could raise or lower the 2x12's on the gable end to your desired height, while keeping the plank as close to the roof as possible.

If you have 2 extension ladders, 2 ladder jacks, and a plank, you could probably scaffold the whole thing that way, as well... by putting the ladder jacks and plank UNDER the extension ladders (inside), and then when you get up higher, move the ladder jacks and plank on the outside of the ladder.

Old 08-19-08, 10:58 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
---------- deleted post ----------

Old 08-19-08, 11:13 AM
P
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Well, a couple idea pop into mind, but neither of them are OSHA approved. OSHA never recommends building your own scaffolding. (As long as you are doing this yourself and don't have employees up there, you don't have to worry about OSHA- but their guidelines are often wise to follow no matter what!) But the idea involves mounting a couple 2x12's on each gable end like a ledger. (you might have to put a spacer behind the 2x12 so that it clears your drip edge). If the 2x12 is, say 12' long, it looks like it would cantilever about 2' beyond each exterior wall, allowing you to set an aluminum plank on top of them. You'd want to use plenty of screws or lags into the 2x12, since there will be a lot of weight and cantilevered pressure on them.

The nice thing about this idea is that you could raise or lower the 2x12's on the gable end to your desired height, while keeping the plank as close to the roof as possible.

If you have 2 extension ladders, 2 ladder jacks, and a plank, you could probably scaffold the whole thing that way, as well... by putting the ladder jacks and plank UNDER the extension ladders (inside), and then when you get up higher, move the ladder jacks and plank on the outside of the ladder.
Thanks. Sounds like a great idea. A little more work methinks for this job. Might defeat the purpose. P I really shouldn't complain. I think a couple more hours and I can finish it. Guess I was hoping for some magical ladder trick or something. :-)

Old 08-19-08, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
If I had a magic wand, I'd use it all the time. LOL

Old 08-19-08, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Ohhh...you don't already have a magical ladder?? Well, they are pretty selective about selling them to just anyone...LOL

Really though...w/o a helper to hand 'em up...mmm

You could just build a small platform or even just screw a 2x to the roof, take a bundle up and put it behind the 2x so it won't slide down. Far enuf up that you can get a couple of rows done w/o climbing up and down. Couple of deck screws would be all ya need.

Gawd I hate standing on extension ladders...knees and feet just can't take it anymore..

Old 08-19-08, 11:28 AM
P
Originally Posted by XSleeper
If I had a magic wand, I'd use it all the time. LOL
Bippety Boppety ROOF!!

--
extra text disguised as a signature, but really so my post isn't too short.

Old 08-19-08, 11:32 AM
P
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Ohhh...you don't already have a magical ladder?? Well, they are pretty selective about selling them to just anyone...LOL

Really though...w/o a helper to hand 'em up...mmm

You could just build a small platform or even just screw a 2x to the roof, take a bundle up and put it behind the 2x so it won't slide down. Far enuf up that you can get a couple of rows done w/o climbing up and down. Couple of deck screws would be all ya need.

Gawd I hate standing on extension ladders...knees and feet just can't take it anymore..
Yeah, no kidding. Luckily, I don't do this all the time, so this is a one time thing. And my wife might be able to hand me shingles, however, I really can only do two before I have to move the ladder again anyway. But that's a good idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: