Where does the first sheet go?

Old 08-23-08, 09:43 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where does the first sheet go?

I'd like to start sheathing the 14/12 roof of my shed today, but I can't decide how much beyond the rafter tails I should go with the OSB, if at all. The tails are cut plumb, so if I start a sheet at the rafter's edge, the sheet's edge has an odd angle, and I don't know what to do with that. So maybe I should extend beyond the tails a little? Maybe just enough to get a 1x4 fascia on there? Or maybe overhang the sheathing so far that the rafter tails are totally unseen? I have no idea - any tips appreciated.
(I should mention that I am not installing gutters, but a drip edge was delivered with the shingles.)

Last edited by sdp321; 08-23-08 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-23-08, 09:06 PM
B
The top of the plywood and the vertical face of the facia should meet, therefore the plywood needs to be held back enough to allow the facia to be raised up until the two planes meet. This is where the drip edge gets installed.

Old 08-23-08, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
If there is no 2x4 or 2x6 subfascia, and you are using 3/4" thick fascia, it's better to have the fascia butt up under the sheathing, IMO. So you'd let the sheathing extend 3/4" beyond the end of the rafter, so it would be flush with the face of the fascia. Don't worry about the square end of the plywood not being at the correct angle. Your drip edge will cover all that. And it's good they delivered the drip edge- no roof should be without it, gutters or not.

If the plywood rests on top of the fascia, it gives the edge of your roof sheathing something to sit on, and feels more substantial when you step between rafters. But if you have subfascia, then it really doesn't matter either way.

Old 08-23-08, 10:16 PM
S
I greatly appreciate the advice. I did a mock run to see how the drip edge attaches, and decided to have the plywood extend just about an inch over the 1x fascia. I'm working solo, so this all takes quite a while. (I set 9 trusses alone too - if anyone ever wants to know one way of doing it alone...it can be interesting.)
I should finish before the snow falls.
Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: