Drip edge

Old 08-25-08, 07:47 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drip edge

I'm putting a peaked shingled roof over my firewood rack. I got tired of buying and putting tarps over the firewood for the past 5 years. I have the sheathing down and I have a few questions. Where does the drip edge go on in relation to the felt paper? Underneath it or on top of it; on the front and sides? Also, do you let the shingles overhang the drip edge? If so, by how much? Or do you make the edges even? I'm not planning on installing any gutters at this time, but that could change down the road. TIA for your help.
Big Mac

Old 08-25-08, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
My personal preference is to put down the felt paper first, covering 100% of the sheathing, cutting it flush will all edges. Then the metal edge on top of that, which holds the paper down on the edges until the roof has been shingled. I feel that when and if water gets between the shingles and the edging that there ought to be paper UNDER the flashing to protect the sheathing somewhat. If you do it the other way around, putting felt on top of the metal, and water gets between the felt and the metal, there is nothing to protect the sheathing.

And yes, IMO the shingles should hang over the edges by 1/4-1/2" on gable ends, and maybe a little more (1/2-3/4") above a gutter.

Old 08-25-08, 09:44 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info XSleeper. I thought the tar paper should be under the drip edge, but I wasn't sure. I'm going to do everything per your recommendations. Thanks again.
Big Mac

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: