Suspicious ridge vents

Old 08-27-08, 08:11 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suspicious ridge vents

About a year ago I had a new "30-year" roof and ridge vents installed. Previous to that I had turbine ventilators for attic ventilation. I'm beginning to think that having ridge vents is not a good thing. Although the attic is cooler, everytime it comes a drenching downpour (2" in an hour), water starts leaking and dripping into the den. I think water from the downpours is coming in through the ridge vents.

Is that likely? Has anyone had this problem? I'm thinking about doing away with the ridge vents and going back to turbine vents.

Any information, comments, suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-08, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well designed, brand name, "properly installed" ridge vents should not have that problem. If it was leaking thru the vents it should be readily visible in the attic and would likely occur in numerous areas along the ridge.

More likely there are one or more area's not properly flashed or thru roof penetrations incorrectly flashed/sealed.

You should be able to see water stains or find wet insulation in the attic in the area of the drips into the den. Tracing them back to the actual source can be challenging. Water can take some devious paths. Try looking for the abovementioned flashing or penetrations up roof from the damp area.

One year? You should have some recourse with the roofer if he was reputable.